A Message From Our Principal
Posted September 3, 2021
September 2, 2021
Dear Marie L. Greenwood Parent/Guardians,
We are off to a tremendous start to the school year 21-22! Everyday, I am reminded that I am so fortunate to be the Principal of such a great school with so many wonderful families, students, and staff. This school year marks my 7th school year as a School Leader in Denver Public Schools, and I know that this will be a special year!
I am writing to provide you some updated information now that we are through week 1:
- Drop-off & Pick Up – We are asking that you drop your child off at school between 7:50am and 8:05am. We do not have supervision outside prior to 7:50am. Also, our teachers will depart at 3:05pm, so please pick up your child at 2:55 – 3:05pm. If you are running late, please call the front office and alert us of this so we can ensure that we alert your child’s teacher. It’s imperative that you drop your child off once supervision begins due to safety reasons.
- Safety – It’s imperative that our school building be a place of safety throughout the school year. In order to ensure the safety of every child that comes in our building, we will not be allowing visitors into the school. This is to prevent the potential spread of COVID-19. We appreciate your understanding of this to ensure that we can continue to offer in-person learning without interruption.
- COVID-19 Protocols – We had minimal quarantines at MLG last year. This was due to our staff facilitating proper disinfecting protocols and distancing of students. In the event that your child is exposed to COVID-19 in a space in the school, you will be alerted via email. While we can not disclose information in regard to this positive exposure, we ask that you regularly check your email so you are aware of any potential exposure.
- What’s New This School Year? – We are excited to offer our STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math) program through our specials rotation. This is a great opportunity for students to engage in learning including the usage of a 3-D printer!
We ask for your support with the following:
- Checking, signing, setting future goals and sending your child’s I-Station Reports in Literacy & Math back to the school once they are sent home.
- Set aside 30-40 minutes every single night for your child to read. I know you have so many things to do as parents in the evening. However, ensuring that your child reads every night is extremely important. Your child will accelerate their learning if they are continually reading in school and outside of school.
- Make sure that your child is at school daily, and stays for the entire school day. I will be the first to tell you that our nation is seeing a significant gap in learning due to the school year being disrupted by COVID-19. It is vitally important that your child comes to school daily. When your child misses school, it not only affects him/her, but the entire class because the teacher needs to spend time catching up students who have missed. Let’s make this a community effort to be at school everyday to support all of our students.
Thank you for your continued support!
Blake Hammond, Principal
We are Marie L. Greenwood, We Strive for Lion Leadership, Hear Us Roar